Drawer Tower Cart Revamped {Part 1}




There's a very big part of me that strives to be organized, but it has to be pretty at the same time. First of all, that means having SPACE, and in a teeny tiny apartment, that can be hard to come by. The desk I got from my home when I moved out of my parents' was an old desk we were no longer using. I do really like this desk and it's shape (it's a corner desk, as you'll see below), but it's got zero storage space. :(

So I bought a 3 drawer cart at Zellers! And it's been great to store all my office supplies.


This one is from Target, but it's similar to the one I got. source

BUT, it's so ugly! I mean, just look at it, sitting there in our living room/office.



No privacy. You can just see the entire (messy) contents. And I got tired of it. Seeing the contents that is, took me a while longer to actually get tired of seeing the mess inside and organize the interior hehe. Mostly because I needed more craft storage space. (Note, this picture was taken in December...)

Alright, I'll show you exactly what it looks like in our living room (well my office portion of it). Just know that it's a work in progress. A BIG work in progress...



I want to build some shelving where indicated. I feel I still don't have enough storage space (will I ever?!), and I'm running out of floor space. So walls it is! Dunno when I'll actually get those shelves...

I got the idea to put something on the front of the drawers from this post from Organizing Made Fun (it's the 4th picture, fyi). I really had one of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments.

So off I went to find some pretty scrapbook paper, because I had none. I found this pad at DeSerres (they also have this line at Wal-Mart), and it was just the color scheme I wanted to go towards for my office space!




Materials and tools you'll need:
~ drawer tower cart, or see-through plastic drawers of some kind (there are even mini ones at the dollar store!)
~ pretty scrapbook paper
~ scissors
~ double-stick tape


It took 10 minutes to set up. Just measure and cut. They were already the right width at 12 inches, but I had to cut the height. Then I used the leftover for the mini drawers I have on top. I'm glad they are double-sided and I could use the other side instead of repeating the same paper, or using an other sheet. It really made a world of difference!





Bottom portion:



Top portion:



For the little drawers I had to cut some more since there's a cavity where the handle is:



Yes, those are little yogourt cups I have to organize small office supplies. I dunno about you, but my heart breaks a little every time I throw out one of those, which is why most of the time I get the big containers and aliquot into smaller portions. I plan on doing something a little nicer with them, one day... you know, when I decide I've had enough of looking at these uglies ;) Like I did with the outside of the drawers.

I used double-sided tape on the 4 corners to keep it in place since the drawers are a little curved. Double-sded tape ensures that you can easily change it out later if you move the cart to an other room, too ;)

More close-ups so you can see the pretty paper :)









So, what do you think? Was it worth it? If you're not convinced, here's a before and after:




I'm not done with this project quite yet. I still want to make some sort of slipcover, because you can still see everything from the sides. Of course you could just put paper in the sides, too, but I want to hide the plastic and indents, as well as add a bit of texture.



That is on my to-do list this weekend. Along with a bazillion other things. But it's at the TOP of the list, so there is a chance I will get it done lol
UPDATE: Got the fabric all cut-up and ready to sew! This will be my first sewing project with my own sewing machine, yay!
UPDATE 2: I'm done, check it out here!




I also invite you to read my post on hotlinking, I think it's very important for everyone to be aware of this.

Thanks for stopping by!



I party at these parties. If you would like to invite me to your linky party, please do so on my linkies page, thank you!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post was featured:

45 comments:

  1. What a smart idea!!! I'm having one of those..."Why didn't I think of that" moments too! Coming to you from the I Heart Naptime link party! I am now your newest follower!! Would love to have you check out my blog and have you link up some projects on my "Homemade By You" link party on Wednesday! :) Happy Crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How smart!! I love it!!

    I would absolutely love if you linked this up to my new linky party going on now!!!

    http://www.classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-spotlight-3.html

    xoxo, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gen! I awarded you the Liebster award over at my blog! Come by and check it out!

    XO! Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I following you and I hope you follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fabulous idea! i have some of those carts in my craft room and they would look so cute with a makeover like that! we'd love for you to link this up to our Sunday Best party. :)
    http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-best-22612.html
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the simplest ideas turn out to be pure genius! I'd never have thought of doing that, what a fabulous transformation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! I LOVE the little yogurt containers! Great way to re-use :)

    I sure HOPE you'll share this on my blog.. PLEASE
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new follower who stopped by from Destination: Craft! I would love for you to visit my blog @ toddlindsey.com!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh. I love pretty organization! I did something similar with my craft drawers but used mod podge. Love the idea of double stick tape... would've been less messy.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea!! I might use that for some drawers that I have fabric stored in, might keep the light out, which fades the fabric, plus it just looks nice! Thanks for sharing!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow HUGE difference. Love all the prints you chose - very nice!

    Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" linky party here:
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tag! You're it. http://alspolkadotsandpaisley.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!! I have drawers like this & am gonna have to do this too. Thanks for the idea :) I am your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea, very simple to do! I love the papers that you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that!!! Wow - I'd never thought to do that, thanks! I liked the pretty patterns you picked out as well. I'm Linky Following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is very cute- now I have some ideas on what to do with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, I have one of these in my laundry room that is screaming for this treatment! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you followed back. I would love it if you linked up to my little party: http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/03/showoff-saturday-4.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah yes!!! looks great! love the paper choices! thank you for sharing at Uncommon!

    Bonnie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have one of those carts. I am so doing this! What a quick easy fix. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean regarding the small space- I live with my husband and 2 year old in a 40 square foot box here in NYC_ I just have my desk and that's it. You set up looks amazing! Thanks for swinging by my blog last week- glad I came by because I really like this blog. Of to read about Hot Linking- I have a feeling I'm about to learn something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh that does make a world of difference! Think I might have to give that a try myself. Saw you on TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gen, I love this! It's so simple...why did I never think of it? It makes SUCH a difference! Love the papers you chose...thanks for the great idea! Glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Featuring this on my One Artsy Mama facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty paper makes everything better! :) Point proven in this post!

    Love it!

    Thanks so much for linking up and sharing!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have the same ugly thing in my bathroom. Now I know just what to do! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excellent idea. Love it.

    Dona
    http://sewingmilesofsmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was so inspired by this! (I saw it on I <3 Organizing.) I asked myself the same question: "Why didn't I think of this?!" Here's what I came up with if you're interested:

    http://alexis-perron.blogspot.com/2012/03/pretty-organizer-drawers.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great color combination! Love it!

    www.createyourdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an ingenious idea! The room instantly looked tidier and the drawer made a lovely room accent.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have several of these...what a great way to hide the crap! It's so simple!

    I would be thrilled it you submit it and share it with my readers on my web site!

    Susan @ Oh My! Creative

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic idea. I have several of these drawers and this would make them look much better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great and inexpensive way to personalize a boring drawer. Check out my blog and a recent makeover :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for this awesome idea! I have so many of these, but they're so ugly that I normally try to keep them hidden. But now I can customize them by the colors/design in each room. Super excited about this! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy you're taking the time to leave me a message! Just make sure you're not a No-Reply Blogger (if you want to check, there's a link to instructions at the bottom of the blog), and if you're entering your Name/URL make sure I have a way of finding an email somewhere on your website, or just include it in your comment :)